Using the Power of the Written Word
The Japanese phrase ‘Bunbu Itchi’ refers to ‘the power of the pen and the sword in accord’. It’s a reminder of the impact of the written word – and of the fact that, when writing, we only have one chance to get it right; once that email or report or request or complaint is sent, we can’t get it back. Whilst swordsmanship is not a common managerial requirement, writing is. We have to know how to maximise our one chance.
This training will teach everyone, irrespective of role, how to use their written words to cut through the noise, confusion and occasional chaos of the workplace.
- Understanding Influence
- Creating a positive writing environment
- Understanding your role and purpose as the writer
- Why and how to avoid complex writing styles and structures
- Using the most appropriate organisational pattern
- Matching the reader’s communication patterns
- How to appeal to your reader’s decision-making tendencies
- How to appeal to your reader’s motivational tendencies
- Knowing how and when to be specific
- Knowing how and when to be artfully vague
- Editing from ‘third position’.